Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:01:07 +0800 (SST)
From:      ash@fxsing.ml.com (Ash Yadav)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ash@tekkie.sg.ml.com (Ash Yadav)
Subject:   PPP slowing down telnet on HAN.

Folks,
Just got my FreeBSD gateway to talk to my ISP and connect with my win 95 machine. There
are a few strange things I have noticed and would like some help on ...

1) Whenever the modem is connected to my ISP a telnet to the freeBSD machine from my
   win95 machine takes a very very long time ( 5 mis plus ). The pings show a
   roundtrip time of 200 ms. Can someone pls shed some light on why PPP is causing this.

2) I also find that modem seems to wake up and dial out on its own. I think its sendmail
   but how can I be sure and how do I tell sendmail to check only once a day for email.

3) I would like the modem to fail after 3 retries to connect. By default it seems to try
   abt 10 times. Is there a setting I can tweak to change this redial.

4) How do I get my modem to terminate my connection on demand. It now waits for the
   default 300 second timeout before it drops the line .

TIA ....

I'd also like to add that the PPP stuff was fairly easy to setup. I was quite surprised
that I got my modem setup and connecting to the ISP in abt a half hour. I am truly
impresed by FreeBSD . Kudos to the freeBSD gang.

Ash Yadav