Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 07:47:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        intersoft@onyx.kachinatech.com (Geoff Marshall)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing via PPP

Geoff Marshall wrote:
> Your Web site makes a BIG THING about 'Installing via PPP' being simple, but after 5 hrs of frustration I think you should simply quit on this one and tell yr potential new users to get a CD-ROM version and not even think of using PPP.
>
> Thought I'd got it right but all I could ever get from the PPP routine was
>

> warning can't create /var/run/tun0.pid
>
> and when I entered '?' for help the procedure hangs !
>
> Back to yr WEB SITE for help to find very precise instructions on how to cure the problem
> AFTER COMPLETING INSTALLATION !
>
> Any suggestions ?
> Or should I quit now with a bad taste and go back to Windows and C++, where the OS may not be very clever but it IS user friendly, OR maybe LINUX does a better job.

Geoff,
	i am sorry for all the fustration that you experienced.
	creating an install tool that does all jobs well for all people
	is very hard....we are trying to improve the tools with each release.

	i am glad to hear that you were able to complete the installation.
	now that you have FreeBSD installed, please give it a chance.
	it would be a shame to for your efforts to have been a waste,
	you might find that FreeBSD is just what you are looking for,
	in spite of the problems that you experienced.
jmb