Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:48:16 +0200 (EET)
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr>
To:        drkhoe@gmsnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP! Upgrade failure

I think you have used the sysinstall program of 2.2.8 release?
you should make floppies of 3.1 release and then boot from them
and upgrade with them...
check the mount points from /etc/fstab sysinstall will ask for them

the 3.1 release uses ELF kernel instead of a.out so your system
should load /boot/loader prior to loading kernel...
that is why it says invalid format

send me email to yurtesen@ispro.net.tr if you have any more problems.
Evren