Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:53:04 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A script for poets

Urs Schroffenegger wrote:

> To make an independent rhyming dictionnary program, I think you
> basically need to have a list of words written phonetically and with
> syllabes separation. After that, it's only a search function to find the
> matching pattern. The difficult part is to get the phonetic data.

Isn't this sort of thing (word list with phonetic data) built into
aspell's dictionaries? Also, whatever Thunderbird 1.5 is doing for
spell checking is clearly doing some rather sophisticated phonetic
matching (based on what I've seen it try to do lately with people's
last names that it doesn't recognize). I'm sure there must be other
OSS applications out there whose sources would at least provide
clues on how to proceed, if not a handily packaged solution.

PS re: the spam poetry submission... funny! For more random poetry
fun, Google for the Shakespearian insult generator (several versions
exist).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348