Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2002 18:54:09 +0000
From:      "Aleksey I. Yurlov" <webmaster@ptt.ru>
To:        ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file permssion and mysql

Hi.

1. It is socket permission. Unix-socket file. U can move it to other
folder in mysql by key "--socket=path_to_socket" in mysql start shell
script in your /usr/local/etc/rc.d, just insert it in your safe_mysqld
command in it, if you use it.
2. Because, connection to mysql can be via network  (tcp/ip f.e. like
how to Apache or proftpd it happens) or localy via this unix-socket
file. There is no size of because it is communication descriptor only...

socket(2) manual page.

ann kok wrote:

>srwxrwxrwx    1 mysql    mysql           0 Jan 30
>15:51 mysql.sock
>
>what is this file function and not any file size?
>and is it security in the directory tmp?
>
>Thank you very much

Aleksey I. Yurlov	     _|      PTT-Teleport Moscow, hosting dept.
webmaster@ptt.ru	   _|_|	     MTU-Intel, webhosting & colocation team