Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:34:51 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        lex manno <lexmanno@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi? lynx? please!

[TROLL and FLAME warning -- answers redicreted to advocacy@freebsd.org]

lex manno wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Neil Blakey-Milner reffering to vi wrote:
>
> > Why?  How is it 'primitive'?
>
> well: no menus, no mouse, no easy way to access all
> those impossible commands. You actually have to
> memorize them and that doesn't make your life esay,
> now, does it?
>
> > If you don't want lynx, don't install it.  People
> > would get rather upset
> > at having to install X just to look at web pages.
>
> That's exactly what I mean! Don't you think that not
> using X Windows is kind of primitive?

Try to recover data from a crashed box using X tools only. No go, I'll
bet. Try to administer a web server farm via X. You'll need another
network jsut for the transmitted X protocol data.

> Perhaps vi and lynx isn't useless but we have to admit
> it.. they're _primitive_

They are tools. They do their job. If you learned something about them,
you'd use them. Since you flame about them, I guess you just did not
learn enough about them. Let me suggest to work your way through some
bleeding editing in ed, ex and vi. Once you learned it, you'll know to
use it when all the other fancy tools give up.

<FLAME><JOKE>
If you want icons, mouse, all that fancy stuff -- a small Redmond based
company will be happy to collect your idiots* tax for their fancy
operating system ;-]
</FLAME></JOKE>

Do some remote administration. Learn the differenc between servers and
clients, between desktop and backroom systems. Well BSD is targeted
mainly at the backroom. Thus, backroom tools have to stay there.

Just my $.05
-Christoph Sold

-----
<FLAME><JOKE>
*) idiotos [ancient greek]: simple minded people
</FLAME></JOKE>