Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:50:02 +0200
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 10:18:35AM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> The newest INN does not have this option, MMAP() is a requirement for
> it...

Sorry, I didn't know that. Too bad, then.

> ah, okay, so you are saying that FreeBSD shouldn't be demonstrated using
> software that taxes/tweaks bugs in it?

Exactly. If you want to show the strengths of a system, it just
doesn't make sense to rely on its weaker parts.

> Boy, does that sound like a quick
> road to problems... Management: but, when you sold us on this operating
> system, it was perfectly stable.  Me: ya, well, I picked and choose the
> software I ran for the demo, sorry...

I didn't say you have to lie about your choice.

> Right now, my 'fight' is weak, since all my friend has to do is point out
> that 'the MMAP() issue isn't an issue under Linux'...and, as far as I'm

Linux has other -- IMHO more annoying -- issues, so I think your
friend had better stop bragging.

> My opinion on the Linux vs *BSD issue is, and always has been, that *BSD
> makes the better *server*...we have very strong networking code, a very
> stable kernel and a sane development model...but this MMAP() issue really
> hurts :(

I think everyone agrees. Now, the problem is that it's not an easy
thing to fix, or it would already be fixed.
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr