Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:47:10 +1100 (EST)
From:      <disposable42-fm@yahoo.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD device no longer works in new FreeBSD releases?

--0-58833803-1142653630=:66087

--- John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 05:10, disposable42-fm@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I've been
> trying
> > to get FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE working on a laptop, a Compaq Armada V300.
> > I boot the installation off the CD drive, go through the setup process
> > fine, but when I have to choose the installation method, it reports `No
> CD
> > devices found!'. Disabling ACPI didn't do anything, either.
> > I remembered I had an old FreeBSD 4.10 disk lying around, so I gave
> that a
> > go as a last resort, and lo and behold, it worked- it installed
> everything
> > off the first CD. Haven't tried 5.x, I assume the latest release would
> > support the most hardware.
> >
> > Were some drivers removed after 4.x, or isn't the installer detecting
> the
> > CDROM? Is there any way to fix this, or should I stick to 4.x (or, eek,
> > Linux)? It's a `CRN-8241B' if that helps, but anything that turns up on
> > Google seems to be about 4.x, and works fine.
> >

> > Thanks in advance, but apologies if I've posted to the wrong place.
>
> Would you be able to capture the dmesg from the 6.0 kernel using a
> serial console or some other means?  Also, would you be able to provide
> a dmesg from the 4.x kernel?
Okay, sorry for the late reply, had to source a DB9 cable (had everything
/but/). I found it interesting that while 4.10 finds my pccard, it doesn't
find the Xircom ethernet card, but 6.0-R does (as well as ACPI support).

Anyway, in the 4.10 output, you can see on line 87-88 it finds ad0 & acd0,
but on 6.0 it only finds ad0.

4d2eff2dbf1392b85e8c3bcbbe5d3b20 *FBSD_410-R.txt.gz
61fd8173b9cad4848eb4e61b3e06b310 *FBSD_60-R.txt.gz

Thanks in advance

On Yahoo!7
Messenger - Make free PC-to-PC calls to your friends overseas.
http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

--0-58833803-1142653630=:66087--