Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 05:28:07 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Craig Shrimpton <craigs@os.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can someone tell me if this panic is -stable related?

>Greetings,
>
>Can someone tell me if this panic is hardware related or software
>related?  I'm getting random re-boots since I've started supping stable.
>
>5:28:35 venus /kernel: kernel page directory invalid pdir=0x744023,
>va=0xefbfe000
>5:28:36 venus /kernel: panic: invalid kernel page directory

   The best answer I can give you is "it's probably a software problem". Try
adding the following to your kernel config file:

options         "NO_SWAPPING"

   ...and of course re-config/build/install your kernel. I quick guess is that
a traceback would show that the caller is vm_fork (calling pmap_enter). We've
seen this before but haven't been able to explain how it's possible given the
code involved. This is one section that was completely rewritten in -current.
What are you doing on the machine? It would help if we could reproduce the
problem.

-DG

David Greenman