Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 17:59:03 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), handy@umbra.space.lockheed.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linux emulator working?

> > What am I doing wrong?  What can I do to fix this?  I'm going to try to
> > get Linux-IDL running under FreeBSD to see how the performance compares
> > to the SPARC version we have.
>
> Please let me know how you go with IDL - we use it very heavily here on
> Sparc and Alpha hardware, but being able to run it on the same platform that
> does our data acquisition would be marvellous!

Well, to be completely honest I was blown away.  I am currently running
Linux-IDL on FreeBSD as we speak.  However, I can't tell how fast it is
compared to our SPARC since the demo version installed by default
doesn't do PRINTF. :(

Some things to watch.

0) Create a 'uname' program which returns Linux instead of FreeBSD or
   else you'll have a bear of a time.  I created a shell script and
   stuck it into /bin/uname.

1) The resolver libraries are different, so to get X working I had to
   specify the inet-address instead of the hostname.
2) I haven't been able to find libc.so.6, so everything complains about
   the C library.

3) The install complained about failures which I ignored and kept going,
   but after everything the install program went ballistic and starting
   sucking 98% CPU and needed to be blown away w/kill -9.

All in all, I'm very impressed.  IDL is a fairly large app. and it seems
to work fine.  Kudos!!!

Nate