Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 10:19:21 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Benjamin Gardiner' <ben_bsd@iaa.com.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: how do I?

There is no kernel configuration utility in FreeBSD.  The best way to go is
to...
	Install sources with /stand/sysinstall, or cvsup, or cvs, etc...
	cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
	cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
	(editor) MYKERNEL

Whatever editor you use is entirely up to you.  And as you already know,
reference LINT for details and additional options.  Then do the following..

	config MYKERNEL
	cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
	make depend
	make
	make install

Then you'll have a brand-spanking new kernel.  :)  One word of advise.  If
you comment out something (e.g. eisa or scbus) make sure that you have NO
devices related to that bus, because it'll give you errors.

Take a look at the following web pages, please.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html  - Especially the part about
CVSup.

-Chris