Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 13:30:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, terry@lambert.org, phk@freefall.freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fs layering pathces doesn't work.

> >> There, dammit.
> >>
> >> Man, it is impossible to do diffs against -current!
> >>

> >> The latest full patches which work are now in:
> >>
> >> freefall.cdrom.com:~terry/fs_layer_patch.gz
> >>
> >> These should fix all the problems in the ancillary file
> >> systems and in the mkdir and link calls (your panic was
> >> in mkdir).
> >
> >While it is still working why don't you get commit privs and commit them
> >to -current?
>
>    Because several people, me included, object to giving him commit privs.

News to me; I've never asked.  At first it would have been a bad idea
because of my Novell connection, but later it never occurred to me
that it would be interesting to tie myself to FreeBSD vs. NetBSD.  I
am an advocate of BSD, period.

Having never asked, I didn't know there were personal problems.  Go figure.

> Furthermore, the changes haven't yet been reviewed by the people working on
> the filesystem layering.

Who would that be?

Whoever they are, if I could find out what their future plans are, it
could save me some work in cleaning up the 4.4BSD hacks to get the
Heidemann code in in the first place.

I'm sure we are all interested in the implementation matching the design
document so that the original design goals can, infact, be met instead
of being compromised (as they are in the 4.4 code).

Currently, there is still layering manipulation which quite broken
that prevents subclassing file systems.  Specifically, the address
reference for the per op descriptors should be replaces with a token
and the instance registration mechanism needs to convert the token
to the op descriptors in place.

Or hasn't anyone (besides me) looked at the 4.4BSD and NetBSD unionfs
(which works), and the original Ficus papers?

I realize that my current patch is a big one, but I've given my full
rationale, and no one objected to it.

If I could ever get over chasing -current's tail for lack of a decent
cvs diff/cvs merge facility that can be used remotely, it might even
apply cleanly.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---