Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:53:32 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        batz <batsy@vapour.net>
Cc:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>, lewwid <lewwid@telusplanet.net>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>, Max Mouse <maxmouse@maxmouse.org>
Subject:   Re: Managing port security upgrades (was:Re: PHP 4.1.2)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, batz wrote:

> Back to my original post, about whether cvs would be a useful way to
> manage security specific information, so that people who just wanted to
> fix open vulnerabilities could do so in a way that did not involve
> sucking down most of the ports tree if they had not upgraded it in a while.
>
> Has anyone else done anything especially different for managing security
> specific patches?

Rather than looking at separate distribution of ports, why not look at a
protocol for providing a list of versions of ports which are insecure.
This could be added into the daily security check.  No remedy to problems
found, just notification.  Something similar to the version checking
available through periodic at present except that it would only cover
security issues.

Andrew McNaughton