Date:      Sun, 06 Oct 96 19:32:59 PST
From:      BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>, brett@lariat.org
Cc:        scsi@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Adaptec EISA twin SCSI?

> Have you ever used CVS?

'fraid I never have. Most of my UNIX programming has consisted of
monolithic utility programs that I've done all myself.... No real need for
version control. I don't know what it would involve to create a CVS tree,
but it sounds like overkill for one patch.

I admit to being blissfully ignorant of the overall kernel architecture of
FreeBSD. (Much of the knowledge seems to be folklore; I've not seen
anything written that really explains it. I'd love to attend a seminar on
this, if one was given.) I've successfully made small patches to drivers
without really understanding the "big picture" (for instance, the one that
turns off "green mode" on a Seagate IDE drive), but don't yet know enough
to write a NEW driver from scratch.

> If you can't do that, copy the following files (once you see my commit
> mail for the stable branch) into your source tree and recompile your
> kernel:
>
> sys/i386/scsi/aic7xxx.c
> sys/i386/scsi/aic7xxx.h
> sys/dev/aic7xxx/*
> sys/i386/eisa/aic7770.c
> sys/pci/aic7870.c
> sys/scsi/scsi_message.h /* New file */

Hmmm.... I've never gotten "commit mail," so I guess I'm not on that list.
But I wonder if the organization of the files has changed. 2.1.0 doesn't
have a sys/i386/eisa/aic7770.c; the ahc code seems to be in sys/isa. Will
the new code "fit?"

--Brett