Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:46:38 +1000
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "MET" <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Setting the Time || Public Time Servers

At 11:43 15/08/2002 -0400, MET sent this up the stick:
>And I'm guessing that (xntpd_enable="YES") or (ntpdate_enable="YES")
>should be declaired in /etc/rc.conf ?

Yup ...  and specify the servers you want to check against in /etc/ntp.conf
rather than /etc/rc.conf

>And the machine doesn't shut down very much at all, but running every 64
>- 1024 seconds seems obsurd.  Perhaps I'm wrong ?

Not really, this is how it keeps your system clock accurate.

 From the man page of ntp:

      When started, whether for the
      first or subsequent times, the program requires several exchanges from
      the majority of these servers so the signal processing and mitigation
      algorithms can accumulate and groom the data and set the clock.  In order
      to protect the network from bursts, the initial poll interval for each
      server is delayed an interval randomized over 0-16s.  At the default ini
      tial poll interval of 64s, several minutes can elapse before the clock is
      set.  The initial delay to set the clock can be reduced using the iburst
      keyword with the server configuration command, as described in
      ntp.conf(5).

So as ntp sorts out your particular system's drift rate, the ntp updates
become less frequent.  My system seems to update only once or twice a day
now, and it has been up for a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Rob

Shift to the left! Shift to the right! Pop up, push down! Byte, byte, byte!

This is random quote 932 of a collection of 1254
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian