Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 20:04:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Val <val@hcol.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what does it mean biowai ??

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Val wrote:

> i did a little upgrade of the news server.
> It used to be a partial news server running freebsd 2.2.2 and inn 1.4 i
> think. it had only one scsi hdd.
> Now we have a ccd drive with interleave factor of 65536 i think (or
> whatever is recommended by the man page for the news server).
> I also upgraded the system to ver 2.2.6 and compiled port inn 1.7
> Everything seems to be ok at first ,when the system goes into expire stage
> to expire the articles it doesn't seem to work fast enough:(

Surprise.

> here is what top says:
>   PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
>   531 root     -6   0 20736K 15288K biowai 120:55 19.99% 19.99% expire
> So I am not sure whether i need to go back to inn 1.4 which ran the expire
> process in about 10-15 minutes? (this one starts and never finishes).

Now that you're running a full feed you'll find that expriy is just a
gigantic job.  And processing the cancels.

biowait is `byte I/O wait', basically waiting for I/O to complete.

> or
> is it my hdd's not working fast enough? I think if soome would give a hint
> what that state of biowai means it would help because it seems that most
> of the time expire spends in this biowai state :(

Probably your hard drive is too slow.

> Oh yeah, the hardware is: 2 9Gb seagate baracuda drives(8gb of each is
> used for ccd drive), ncr scsi controller, 64Mb ram, 233intel pent.

2x9GB isn't split enough -- the disks are running into one another.

I told you to use a 4x4GB array :)