Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:50:12 -0700
From:      Steve Willoughby <steve@ichips.intel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ThinkPad 600E won't install FreeBSD 3.2?

Argh.  I didn't see anything in the mailing list archives or FAQs which
addresses this, so here goes...

I'm trying to install 3.2-RELEASE on a ThinkPad 600E (128Mb RAM, DVD ROM,
10Gb HD, etc.), but the installation kernel just hangs.  Once it hung in
the middle of the device configuration (the boot -c thing) screen, but
after that it's consistently locking up the system immediately *after*
exiting the config screen.

I've tried disabling all devices except the IDE controller, floppy, mouse and
keyboard, even tried unplugging the DVD drive, but it always locks up right
there.  The last thing displayed on-screen is the list of device probes,
the last being "Probing for PnP devices...", but I don't know if that was
spewed to the console before or after launching into the configuration
tool.

I know others have said they've got FreeBSD running on ThinkPads.  Is this
a 3.2 issue, or is there still some special magic I need to do to get a
ThinkPad running FreeBSD?

TIA,
--steve