Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:10:52 +0200
From:      Nelis Lamprecht <nelis@8ball.co.za>
To:        Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions Mail List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Perl within 5.2

--=-qhwiXFHxkCcYlWsi7TAK

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 17:05, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> I'm sure this is a silly question, but. I know about use.perl and
> so forth for the 4.x series.
>=20
> Yesterday I installed FreeBSD 5.2.1, and the active Perl port
> is /usr/ports/lang/perl, which is v. 5.6.1. I'd like to upgrade
> to 5.8.2, which is in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 and thus I can't
> just do "portupgrade perl".
>=20
> Exactly what do I have to do to accomplish this? "portinstall
> perl5.8" doesn't work ("No such installed package nor such port..."),
> nor does "portinstall perl-5.8.2_2" (which is said to be the
> package name in the README file). The PORTNAME given in the 5.8
> Makefile is just "perl".
>=20
> I assume I could just do a make install from the perl5.8=20
> directory, but how do I do it with portupgrade? And then how
> do I get rid of the 5.6 version and rebuild things with 5.8?

Correct. Just run a make install from perl5.8 directory and it will
install it to a new location without interfering with the "base" install
of perl. Is it really necessary to upgrade ? There is nothing in ports
that I know of that will not work with perl5.6
=20
There is no need to remove the 5.6 version. The installation will add
some information to your /etc/make.conf as well as make other changes
when you run use.perl port which will tell any future installations that
require perl which version to use. If you have to remove perl then cd
into /usr/local/lib/perl5 and remove the 5.6 directory as well as the
one under site_perl but not recommended.=20

Cheers,
--=20
Nelis Lamprecht
PGP: http://www.8ball.co.za/pgpkey/nelis.asc
"Unix IS user friendly.. It's just selective about who its friends are."

--=-qhwiXFHxkCcYlWsi7TAK

--=-qhwiXFHxkCcYlWsi7TAK--