Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:56:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        Gautham Ganapathy <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD.org - Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: device ed0 and miibus

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Gautham Ganapathy wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a PCI card based on the realtek 8029 chipset. i tried adding
> 'device rl' (realtek 8129/8139) to the kernconf, but it didn't work. but
> for some reason, it works with ed0 (realtek 8002) which looks like an
> ISA driver.

The 8029 chips are commonly used on (older) ISA boards.  I guess someone
has made a cheaper PCI board :)

> so ed0 seems to be the only
> ISA NIC that uses miibus. what is miibus and does it have anything to do
> with ed0 working with this card ?

miibus is a generic bus between the Ethernet controller logic and the
logic that drives the physical interface (the 'phy').

This bus abstraction was added because it made writing drivers easier,
as the driver for a particular card (like rl) didn't have to hard-code
in support for every possible phy chip that could be used.