Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2023 13:12:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rscheff@FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: BPF to filter/mod ARP

> >> I can confirm that using
> >> sudo sysctl net.link.ether.ipfw=1
> >> sudo ipfw add 111 count log all from any to any layer2 mac-type arp
> >> ... wait some time and observe ARP traffic via tcpdump
> >> sudo ipfw show
> >> 00111   22      0 count log logamount 5 ip from any to any layer2 mac-type 0x0806
> >> 65535 7892 849004 allow ip from any to any
> >> So the rule is hit.
> >>
> >> However, now doing
> >> sudo ipfw delete 111
> >> sudo ipfw add 111 divert 1234 all from any to any layer2 mac-type arp
> >> ... wait some time and observe ARP traffic via tcpdump
> >> tuexen@head:~ % sudo ipfw show
> >> 00111     0       0 divert 1234 ip from any to any layer2 mac-type 0x0806
> >> 65535 10048 1000948 allow ip from any to any
> >> So this time, rule 111 is not hit. I also ran
> >
> > Nice work, to  me I would classify this behavior as some form of bug,
> > the action verb of a rule in ipfw should in no way change what is matched
> > by the rule filter.
> >
> > I am assuming you either had IPDIVERT compiled into your kernel, or you
> > you had loaded the module, as you dont clearly state this.   I am also
> > uncertain on what the results are if you use the divert keyword without
> > ipdivert.ko loaded, is it an error when the rule gets created, or is it
> > silently ignored?
> Before compiling IPDIVERT into the kernel, I got an error message. So I
> used the following kernel config for the testing:
>
> tuexen@head:~ % cat freebsd-src/sys/arm64/conf/TCP
> include		GENERIC
> ident	 	TCP
>
> makeoptions     WITH_EXTRA_TCP_STACKS=1
> options		TCPHPTS
> options		VIMAGE
> options		TCP_BLACKBOX
> options		TCPPCAP
> options		SCTP_DEBUG
> options		RATELIMIT
> options		DEBUG_REDZONE
> options		IPFIREWALL
> options		IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> options		IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=5
> options		IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
> options		IPDIVERT

And I did some further testing, if you try to add a "divert"
rule without IPDIVERT either compiled into the kernel or
loaded as a module you infact due get an error that the
rule could not be added.  I then went digging in the
ether_demux code trying to find where ipfw (pfil in the
kernel) gets ahold of the packet, did not find it in
ether_demux, and the packet has been handled off to
to the netisr code, and that is where I stopped in
trying to find the path.

I still find it very strange that a count rule shows packets,
but no bytes, and a divert rule shows nothing.  I suspect
the divert rule is not getting a proper call to the pfil
code to hook up the intercept.  And a count rule probably
only knows how to count IP payloads bytes.