Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2023 02:35:16 +0800
From:      Zhenlei Huang <zlei@FreeBSD.org>
To:        tuexen@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for Testing: TCP RACK

> On Nov 16, 2023, at 5:13 PM, tuexen@freebsd.org wrote:
>=20
> Dear all,
>=20
> recently the main branch was changed to build the TCP RACK stack
> which is a loadable kernel module, by default:
> =
https://cgit.FreeBSD.org/src/commit/?id=3D3a338c534154164504005beb00a3c6fe=
b03756cc
>=20
> As discussed on the bi-weekly transport call, it would be great if =
people
> could test the RACK stack for their workload. Please report any =
problems to the
> net@ mailing list or open an issue in the bug tracker and drop me a =
note via email.
> This includes regressions in CPU usage, regressions in performance or =
any other
> unexpected change you observe.

I see some performance regression with the rack stack.

This is iperf3 test on local host (bare metal, an old i5 2 cores 4 =
threads MBP).

freebsd:	16.1 Gbits/sec
rack:	12.3 Gbits/sec

The congestion control algorithm is cubic.

Note this is a quick test with DEBUG options enabled.

I'll try with no debug options and report later.

>=20
> You can load the kernel module using
> kldload tcp_rack
>=20
> You can make the RACK stack the default stack using
> sysctl net.inet.tcp.functions_default=3Drack
>=20
> Based on the feedback we get, the default stack might be switched to =
the
> RACK stack.
>=20
>=20