Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 95 11:36:16 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: procfs problems in -current?

> > > What's this?
> > Why do you ask?  8-).
>
> Since i've ran into the following trouble:
>
> My user `bin' used to have checked out copies from config, sys and lkm
> (and include, FWIW) below his home directory.  This is where
> everything happens when i'm playing with new stuff in kernelland.
> Once in a while, whenever i think it's necessary to upgrade the
> kernel, i `cvs update' those modules and rebuild everything
> (including, when required, re-configuring).  This used to work all the
> time, but recently, all loaded VFS modules yielded garbage and
> eventually panicked the system.  (The actual reason must have been the
> changes in the way the mounts are being tracked, i suppose.)  It
> turned out that cvs remove'ing the whole lkm module and checking it
> out again actually worked, but then this is only an evidence that
> something in the dependency handling of the Makefiles (or make(1)
> itself :) is broken.

The dependencies could be happier, especially for things that need to
be rebuilt that aren't standard pieces.

I'd prefer a system build rather than a kernel build for changes that
affect the semantics of interfaces... I don't know how you'd enforce
that if people only updated their kernel.  Supposedly, you'd bump the
version number in the lkm.h at the same time.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.