Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 11:00:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rashid@rk.ios.com (Rashid Karimov)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "active" (INND14unoff4,shared) gets corrupted

> 	Hi there ppl,
>

> I have INND1.4seunoff4 installed on 3 computers here -
> 2 P6-200 and one P-166, all under FreeBSD 2.1-Release.
> In one case(P-166) I use shared active patch and ccd driver
> to max the HDs perf.
> And it works kinda OK, but every once in a while
> which means every day the active file gets corrupted
> to the extent when it becomes unusable. A lot of BS
> characters appear in it,articles numbers get concatenated
> with the newsgroups names, non numeric characters appear
> in the art. numbers and so on.
> The system is not in a production and there is no heavy
> usage.
>
> So did any1 see it before ? Does shared active patch work with
> FreeBSD ? Well, it does work in my case , but could it cause
> the corruption of the active file ?
> I know that some folx here have news machines with ccd working OK
> and I'm quite satisfies with perfomance too,but this thing with
> active is really annoying.

I ran into this just this morning for the first time in four months...
hadn't been having that problem.  I just recovered the active.old file and
fixed it.  It appeared to be just a small region of the active file that had
gone to hell.  I still have the file if anybody cares.

The sharedactive stuff seems to work fine.  The only other change I
typically make is to enable keepalive's on nnrp sessions.  I'd really like a
way to do this on a "sitewide" basis  :-/

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968