Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:06:35 -0200
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: streaming AM/FM radio ports?

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:38:57AM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> Sorry if this is not quite a post for this list.

	Not a problem but you should try the FreeBSD-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
mailing list in the future :)

> Basic problem is: I can use (and do use) XMMS or freeamp for
> straming mp3 radios. However, some radios broadcast using
> realplayer or windows media player formats.
>
> Is there an app that would allow me to listen to radios in any
> of these formats? Preferably in the ports collection, of
> course :)

	Latest mplayer can listen to WM9, RealPlayer and Mp3
streaming. I think it can even listen to shout streaming.

> In case there is no single tool for the job, what do people
> use to listen to radios in other formats?

	/usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer

	Make sure you read the instructions on how
to activate additional features for mplayer.

	For example,

You can enable liveMedia support by defining WITH_LIVEMEDIA.
You can enable RealPlayer DLL support by defining WITH_REALPLAYER.

	If mplayer is not enough you can always try mpeg4ip
in

/usr/ports/multimedia/mpeg4ip

	There are lots of options for it as well.

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer