Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 20:25:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        mlholloway@yahoo.com (Mark L. Holloway)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C

Mark L. Holloway wrote,

> Are most of the Unix programs that are compiled on all the Unix
> variants written in C or C++?

It would be more than fair to say that virtually all of the system
software on any given UNIX system was coded in C... with the exception
of some shell scripts pretending to be programs too. ;)

However, what you mean by 'Unix programs' is not all clear. Of course,
many programs run on UNIX-type systems are not written in C (or
C++). As engineer with a job title of 'Scientist,' I can sure tell you
there are still plenty of FORTRAN programs out there. Java is a
language people talk about alot that is common on UNIX. The list goes
on.

> I didn't know if the GCC is C only, or if it compiles C++ too.

Type,

% man gcc

GCC(1)                      GNU Tools                      GCC(1)

NAME
       gcc, g++ - GNU project C and C++ Compiler (v2.7)

SYNOPSIS
       gcc [ option | filename ]...
       g++ [ option | filename ]...
.
.
.

That is, yes, gcc does both.

> Oreilly prints some great books on both C
> and C++ but I've heard that C++ is better than C.

Ooh... Do I smell a troll? C++ is not "better" than C. There may be
people who prefer C++ for certain applications, but you are comparing
apples and oranges to say one is flat out better than the other. C is
much more all-purpose than C++.

> Since all the
> source code for Open software ends in .c I didn't if that reflects
> that the code is only in C or not....

A .c file is almost certainly C source.