Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 00:26:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        tomb <tomb@cgf.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Denial of Service.... anyone else see this attempt.

Ok...in that case, please move to incidents@securityfocus.com, as this is
not an incident reporting mailing list, rather, a mailing list for
users/developers to discuss FreeBSD security.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, tomb wrote:

> I totally disagree as long as the machine in question is a FreeBSD box.
> Although there is very little we can do to prevent this kind of
> activity. The information IS of interest.  If nothing else provides us
> us with stat's on who's doing what and where.
>
> The last thing we should be doing is discouraging people from sending
> information relating to FreeBSD security.
>
> If it seem's like it belongs on a different list then post it on and
> politely re-direct the initator to that list.
>
> Tom
>

> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to say to all on this list that this type of message should
> > probably not be posted here on FreeBSD-Security.  INCIDENTS@securityfocu
> > s.com is a better place for this.  They discuss this and many other
> > types of incidents.
> >
> > Regards,                       Phone:  (250)387-8437
> > Cy Schubert                      Fax:  (250)387-5766
> > Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
> > UNIX Group, ITSD, ISTA
> > Province of BC
> >                     "COBOL IS A WASTE OF CARDS."
> >
> > In message <200002231354.IAA06975@bg-tc-ppp873.monmouth.com>, Bill
> > Pechter writ
> > es:
> > > Dear sirs:
> > >
> > > I'd like to report what appears to be an attack on my machine.
> > >
> > > I picked up 6500 of these attempts ending when I dropped outside
> > > connectivity at 8:34 this morning.
> > >
> > > This is a denial of service, since all my machine was doing  was logging
> > > these messages.
> > >
> > > This attack fully saturated my 33.6 ppp link.
> > >
> > > Bill Pechter
> > > pechter@monmouth.com
> > >

> > > ----- Forwarded message from The root of all evil -----

> > > Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:59:23 -0500 (EST)
> > > From: The root of all evil <root>
> > > To: root
> > > Subject: tcpd: unknown@fes-d004.icq.aol.com[205.188.153.100] tried to use rpc
> > > .rquotad  (denied)
> > >
> > > [fes-d004.icq.aol.com]
> > >

> > > ----- End of forwarded message from The root of all evil -----
> > > bpechter@monmouth.com      |     Microsoft: Where do you want to go today?
> > >                            |     Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
> > >                            |     BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?

> > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |