Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:21:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bryan Bradsby <Bryan.Bradsby@capnet.state.tx.us>
To:        "James P. Brewster" <James@virtual-net.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, James P. Brewster wrote:

> I have a pop server set up to where I can send and receive mail remotely
> without problems almost.  To be able to relay domains when sending mail
> remotely an entry needs to be placed in the /etc/hosts file and an entry
> in the /etc/mail/relay-domains file.
>
> Exp. Hosts file:
> 207.200.75.200 netscape.com
>
> Exp. relay-domains file:
> netscape.com
>
> This works well but every time I send an email with an address that
> doesn't exist in my files it will deny the relay.  How can I just
> configure sendmail to relay everything?  There has got to be a better
> more efficient way of doing this.  Thanks James

I always suggest the use of IP address as the primary control over
relaying. If you have roaming users you take care of this as an exception
to the IP addresses that are permitted to relay.

Your best tool for this is the 'access' database.
Create an 'access' database, (if not already created). Remember that
the database exists as a pure text source file, that is compiled into a
binary database via the makemap utility. Add the following to the
text 'access' database and compile:

207.200.75	RELAY

This will allow 207.200.75.0/24 to relay through your sendmail server.

For roaming users you should use POP-auth or SMTP-AUTH.

This is all very nicely explained on the sendmail page.

   www.sendmail.org

-bryan