Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 19:25:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Christian.Gusenbauer@utimaco.co.at
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATD and skip packets

> Hi!
>
> We've the following problem: we want to send SKIP packets to our
> partners somewhere in the world. We are using private internet
> addresses in our LAN and would let our FreeBSD firewall translate
> those addresses to public ones. Unfortunately, natd supports only
> TCP, UDP and ICMP packets but we need SKIP.
>
> My question is: is anyone working on this (supporting SKIP) or do
> you know any (other) solution for this problem?

What are SKIP-packets?

Relevant persons for this are

Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com> - added divert to ipfw originally
(if I remember correctly - it may have been Julian
<julian@whistle.com> too)

Ari Suutari <ari.suutari@ps.carel.fi> - original natd author

Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net> - wrote the packet-aliasing engine
(probably most relevant)

Brian Somers <brian@freebsd.org> - brought natd into FreeBSD and is
maintaining that and libalias.

and Yours Truly, who've done some reorganisation of the aliasing code
and did the IRC DCC-support (minor stuff, both of those), and thus
should be able to solve the problem.

Unfortuneatly, I haven't got a clue what a SKIP-packet is, and I
haven't been able to find the term in either Stevens, Halsall, or what
RFC I thought would be relevant.  Any references to what these packets
actually are?

Eivind.