Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:27:12 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        krishna vallapareddy <kvallapareddy@appworx.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: can I install FREEBSD on windows NT

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 09:07:01AM +0200, James A Wilde wrote:

> Hi, Is it possible to install FREEBSD on a computer running windows NT
> without creating new partitions but with free space available.

FreeBSD uses it's own filesystem, i.e. format on the partitions that it
is installed on.  You will have to create a separate partition for
FreeBSD.  If the Windows NT partitions you have cover the entire disk,
you can still get away by resizing the NT partitions (with tools like
Partition-Magic), to make some of the free space available for FreeBSD.

Some will argue that the Windows NT filesystem (NTFS) will become very
un-optimal and lose some of it's performance if you resize it, though.
I do not know if this is true, but if it is, the only way of installing
both FreeBSD and NT on the same machine is to back your disks up,
repartition, and install from scratch.

Cheers.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >