Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:02:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: General thoughts and questions on FreeBSD

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, David Greenman wrote:

> >Any thoughts on his kernel issues?  Those seem to be the only ones that
> >are major issues here.
>
>    Sounds like mostly operator error.
>
> >  Is FreeBSD 'quirky' ?
>
>    I think for most people that anything that isn't what you started with is
> quirky. In terms of Unix purity, FreeBSD is near or at the top of the list.
> That doesn't mean it can't be improved, but I think you'll find far more
> people that think Linux is more than just a little quirky compared to
> FreeBSD.

FreeBSD standard utils just lack the mass of features(?) that Linux clones
have.  Just look at stuff like cp -- Linux has a dozen options, 'coz
ex-Solaris users wanted their options, ex-FreeBSD users wanted their
options, etc.  Linux is the melting pot, and FreeBSD is the original
stuff.  They're both pretty groovy tho, eh?

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet