Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:54:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, karl@mcs.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd problem we're seeing here

> > > I'm seeing an interesting problem here.
> >
> > No you're not.  You are seeng a problem I already knew about,
> > and provided a patch for, but the patch was not checked in by
> > anyone (no, not the NFS locking patch; that should be checked
> > in, too, though).
>
> Was this issue ever resolved to your satisfaction?

Which issue: the VOP_LEASE issue, or the NFS locking issue?

The answer in both cases is "no", but I can't tell from context
which one you are talking about.

For the lease issue to truly get fixed requires killing vn_rdwr()
and calling vn_read() and vn_write(), as appropriate.  Then calling
VOP_LEASE with the correct arguments on the correct side of a
VOP_LOCK.

For the NFS locking, I've basically given up on convincing people
with the control of the code that moving the lock list to the
vnode instead of the inode, and then going veto-based is the way
to go.  It doesn't seem to matter what I (or John Heidemann) say
in this regard, it falls on deaf ears.

What I will probably end up doing is, once I finish the stuff at
work that I promised myself I'd finish before uncrating my Sun
SPARC box, uncrate the box, fully implement the locking so that
it interoperates with SunOS, and then put the whole thing up as
a mega-patch on a "take it or leave it" basis.

PS: It's not necessary to quote the whole article back to me; I
save copies of these things for myself.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.