Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 1995 22:52:30 -0500
From:      starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu (Gene Stark)
To:        ece.uci.edu!swallace@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD.org!freebsd-current@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu
Subject:   new sound driver configuration

>Please try to compile the sound card according to your configuration.
>I have compiled different possible configurations, but have only
>tested the gus driver (not gusxvi and gusmax).

I compiled a kernel for SoundBlaster 16 with the following config:

	controller      snd0
	device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
	device          sbxvi0  at isa? drq 6
	device          sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
	device          opl0    at isa? port 0x388

Don't know if I got this all exactly right, but the kernel linked OK.
I had the following problems:

	The midi device seemed to probe on the first (cold) boot,
		but then didn't probe after a warm boot.

	Though I was able to play .au files to /dev/audio,
		reading /dev/dsp produced a short header, then apparently
		no actual data.
	Reading /dev/dsp1 gave a "Device not configured" error
		(I don't know if this was supposed to work or not.)
	Reading /dev/dsp16 produces data, but I don't really know what
		to do with it.  Playing it back on /dev/audio yields noise.
		If I plug a mike in the back, how can I record?

This is about all I tried.  I'm not sure exactly what to do with the
various devices.  I haven't tried looking very hard for an FAQ or
man page, but one didn't really jump out and bite me, either.

Any advice would be welcomed.

							- Gene