Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 10:23:36 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@innotts.co.uk>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        stefan@exis.net, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, jdd@vbc.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exchange vs. Notes

At 8:23 am +0100 7/6/97, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

>And don't believe MS is going to ignore the ISP market forever.  On
>the other hand, what they develop will most likely be significantly
>cheaper than commercial Unix solutions, but will still not be free.

I've been following this strand with interest. I guess that the thing that
most concerns me is what will happen when Microsoft has no competition left?

At the moment it's busily out-investing its competitors in every sphere it
can, and making sure that it locks in its customers once they're there. How
long can Netscape survive when explorer comes with W95 which comes with
your PC -- like it or not? How long can Lotus, or even POP3 clients like
Eudora/Pegasus survive when Exchange clients are /right there/ on the brand
new W95 desktop that came with your PC etc.etc.

With Apple hanging on by its fingernails, and OS/2 scarcely in the picture,
how long will it be before the only alternative to Windows is XFree? Watch
for the demise of the remaining commercial desktop/departmental unixes over
the next few years as NT underprices them (not difficult). Watch for the
retreat of Oracle/Informix to mainframes as backoffice SQLserver undercuts
their (outrageous) prices. M$ is already offering ISP's free licences for
NT (for one year) here to try to wean them off unix boxes.

And then what? How long before 80% of Internet traffic is MS proprietary?

Microsoft hustles aggressively in every area where there is still
competition. What happens when the competition has finally been destroyed?
I know this has all been said over & over again, and I apologise. But the
prospect of a world wide monopoly in desktop computing and corporate
systems is terrifying. This is bigger than IBM ever managed.

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction Information Services
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team
Tel:  +44 (0)115 952 9478       Fax:  +44 (0)115 952 9421
work: robmel@nadt.org.uk        home: robmel@innotts.co.uk
Pages: http://www.innotts.co.uk/~robmel    (home page)
       http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt       (substance misuse pages)