Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:05:29 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        <genocide@adelphia.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Install problem

	NO!  *screams in pain*

	FreeBSD does NOT support MCA, will NOT run on MCA and unless you're one =
hellaciously elite hacker, won't.

	What you are running into is the wonderful foresight of IBM's engineers =
when they came up with MCA, back in the mid 80s.  MCA doesn't allow =
hardware to occupy an IRQ, as the rest of the world understands it.

	As much as I hate to say it, there is a version of Linux that will run =
on MCA, if you can find it.  And I believe Solaris might run on it, but =
that would be an old version as Sol8 doesn't even support ISA anymore.

	IBM builds good, strong, solid hardware... your machine still being =
around and in good running shape is a testament to that.  Just good luck =
in finding software that'll work with their quirky "next generation" =
architecture...

--- Andy
=09
IBM=20