Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:44:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "Stephen L. Palmer" <slpalmer@midearth.org>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4-Server / x11/wrapper issue

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 06:23:03PM -0600, Stephen L. Palmer wrote:
> > After upgrading XFree86-4-server to 4.2.0 via ports, user accounts could
> > no longer 'startx'.  did 'make deinstall;make reinstall' in
> > ports/x11/wrapper, which resolved issue.  Should there be some type of
> > dependency here to cause wrapper to update if allready installed?

Hi, Stephen.  I'm the maintainer of the wrapper port.  Do you know
specifically what was causing the problem?  Also, do you know when you had
installed the first time (or better yet, what revision of
ports/x11/wrapper/Makefile did you have then)?  I recently made some
changes to the port, and I didn't test installing an X server, then
installing the wrapper, then installing another X server.  Maybe I didn't
give enough thought to that case.

> wrapper already RUN_DEPENDS on XFree86-4-server.  If you use a tool
> like portupgrade which handles dependencies properly when rebuilding,
> this would presumably have been taken care of automatically.

Can you be more specific about what's wrong with the way bsd.port.mk
handles dependencies?  Are any patches available (perhaps in the portmgr
queue) which might improve the situation for users who don't have
portupgrade?  If there's no fix, maybe describing the deficiency would
inspire someone to write one.  :)
--
Trevor Johnson