Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 10:23:05 -0500
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
To:        Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ad2s1e: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn...

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 03:24:25AM -0400, Erik Rothwell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently added a new 40GB disk to my existing FreeBSD system... It's
> been less than flawless ;) When I first went to fdisk / disklabel the new
> drive, I got an error stating that the drive geometry was improper... I
> let /stand/sysinstall pick its own more suitable geometry and proceeded
> to newfs the drive, etc. etc. Everything seems all well and good-- the new
> drive mounted to /data... however, when I did a few tests moving data to
> the new drive I get a *lot* of the following:

[snip lots of error messages which appear to be about bad spots.]

> the file eventually transfers but its quite noisy... now, I'm wondering if
> this is due to kernel settings or my UDMA configuration-- or perhaps due
> to some hardware problem.
>
> I at first suspected the cables-- because I accidentally damaged one of
> the pins on my old 20GB drive... so, when I got the error at first (by
> copying a 750MB file from the old drive to the new) I figured it was an
> error in the old drive... so, I tried doing a copy of the same file (now
> on /data) to elsewhere also on /data... still, the same errors
> reading/writing from/to the same disk...

The combination of new disk _plus_ lots of error messages which
appear to be about bad spots _plus_ noisy disk leads me to
suspect quite strongly that the disk is dying, if not dead by the
time you read this.

Take it back. Get another.

--
Mike Andrews