Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:16:28 -0600
From:      mike revnell <mrevnell@sdc.org>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   installation problems

I got this address from the book in the Walnut Creek boxed set.

I have been trying to install FreeBSD 3.2 on an IMB Aptiva.
The bios tells me it's a model number 2140L61.
It's a 266 MHz Pentium II box.

When trying to boot from CD-ROM it tells me

Can't work out which drive we're booting from.

and gives the boot loader prompt. I can't find a spell which will get it
to boot.

When booting from floppy I go through the process of diabling all the
devices I don't have. It seems to go smoothly until it emits a couple
messages about the npx0 device and then hangs (I've waited at least 2
minutes) with the floppy light on.  Ejecting the floppy does not elicit
any sort of message. The system does respont to num-lock and caps-lock
so it isn't completely wedged.

It runs RedHat 6.0 mostly ok. Apart from constant carping about running
the Gnome file manager as root and intermittent problems with slow X
windows startup {magic cookie problems}{but then that's not your
concern}

Any ideas?