Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 08:14:57 -0500
From:      Alan Edmonds <alan.edmonds@sterling.com>
To:        Otter <otter@otter.cc>
Cc:        dylan <dylan@dragnet.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI + IDE (easy one i think)

Otter wrote:

> > dylan wrote:
> >
> > (please ignore ='s on freebsd.org archives.. mailing from outlook)
> >
> > Are there any issues involved in using a combination of SCSI and IDE
> > drives ?
> >
> > I want to mount an IDE drive with a BSD ufs in a system booted from a
> > SCSI drive.
> >
> > If I play with Bios I can change which drive it boots too but when I
> > boot into the system on the SCSI drive the IDE drive (presumably
> > wd0) does not show up in dmesg.boot and is unmountable.
> >
> > Anything I am missing?
>
> Yeah. you're missing a version number. If you have FreeBSD 4.0, the IDE
> driver is now referred to as ad instead of wd. Hope this helps you out.
> For more info, man ata.
> -Otter

Just as a data point, I tried adding an IDE drive to a DELL
410 workstation currently booting from SCSI.

I was able to take the IDE drive out of the boot list, but
it didn't show up in the devices after booting.  This was under
NT 4.0 though.  It looks like you have to boot from IDE :-(

--
Alan Edmonds, KB5ZUY               Sterling Software
                                   M/S 132