Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:20:18 -0500
From:      pauls@utdallas.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Finding IP Addresses (OT)

--==========505B5E13A3992FD97859==========

--On August 11, 2006 9:02:14 AM +0700 Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>=20
wrote:

> Beno,
>
>> I'm configuring my IP filter and I need to figure out what IP addresses
>> I use (via SSH2) to contact my server.
>
> I'd advise you not to filter SSH by IP, that would be the best way to
> lock you out of your server.
>
> Even if you find all the IP used by your ISP, you cannot predict when
> the IP range will change, and it DOES change.
>
> If you limit the IP that can SSH to your server, you will not be able
> to login when you are traveling and some urgent administration task
> need to be performed. And the most urgent tasks must often be
> performed when traveling...

You're making some assumptions that I don't think you can make.  For=20
example, I have a publicly accessible server at work that does not change=20
IPs.  So, even if nothing else will work, I can always get back in to my=20
servers through that server.  It's a form of a bastion host.

Also, when I'm traveling, I can always get in through that server, so I=20
never open up an IP from where I'm traveling.

His situation may be similar, who knows.  He may also be as paranoid as I=20
am. :-)

> Set a strong password to your account (8+ characters, using letters up
> and lower case, numbers and punctuation signs), do not allow SSH to
> root account, enforce using sudo instead of su.

All excellent suggestions, which he should implement, regardless of=20
whether he also chooses to restrict access by IP.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/