Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:49:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfilter & pptp & freebsd

> If we take this system and put it outside the firewall, it shoves data
> quickly.  Inside the firewall, it runs painfully slowly.  In the last
> 50 minutes, it's sent 1,181,971 bytes.

Speed issues like this can be caused by half/full duplex mismatching on
the ethernet interfaces.  I had one the other day that had been running
for several months (with occasional reboots without any problems), and
then after the last reboot, the auto-negotiation failed between the switch
and the fxp card -- the switch was running 100-half, and the fxp card was
running 100-full...  Result?  Estimated 27 hours to transfer a 1.3gig
file.  Rebooted & forced the parameters on both switch & fxp to 100-full,
and the transfer took no time at all.

You may want to try doing some large transfers between the FBSD<->Windows
box and FBSD<->OutsideWorld to see what happens.  If this is your problem,
one or both of these will be cripplingly slow.

mike