Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:09:38 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        webmaster@cpudetails.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Restricting User Access & Mail Quotas

(Yes I know deja can be searched too.)

	As always, the best source of information is at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/  alot of your questions are answered in the handbook
and FAQ.

> >1. I do not want to grant ordinary mail users shell accouts or telnet
> access
> >into the server. Only POP3 and FTP access into *their* homepage space.
> How
> >do I do this? I assume it goes into which group your user belongs to, and
> >despite scouring Greg Lehey's Complete FreeBSD, I can't determine which.
>
> See /etc/ftpchroot, and /etc/ftp/shells.  You can create a shell called
> /usr/local/sbin/ftponly which has as its contents
> #!/bin/sh -p
> echo 'This account is ftp only.'
> exit 1

	Or use /sbin/nologin.  Doesn't said "shell" need to be added to
/etc/shells as well so that ftp/pop access isn't restriced?

> >2. I do not want users eating up more than 5MB of mail, per box. How do I
> >establish quotas?
>
> You need to use a local mail agent like procmail. See
> http://www.procmail.org, or again, search through dejanews.com. There are
> couple of step by step posts on how to use procmail as your local delivery
> agent.

	Also see http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/quotas.html on setting up
the actual quotas.

	The reason you'll need to setup procmail or some other delivery
agent, is that sendmail runs as root and tends to disregard the quota
limitation.

	If you are going to setup quotas just for mail.  You'll want to make
sure that your mail and home dirs are on different partitions.

> >And finally, while of minor importance, I am coming up with a strange
> issue
> >when sending mail with PINE. It can take up to 60 seconds or so before
> the
> > SENDING 0% ] indicator changes over to confirmation that the message has
> >been sent. I think it's trying to do some kind of name resolution, but it
> >doesn't matter if I send mail to @localhost, @machine or to
> @machine.domain.
> >Just strange..
>
> Sounds like DNS issue.

	I agree, I see the exact same thing when I try to send mail with my
ppp connection down.  I'll hang at 0% until the connection is up and the
address it's going to has been resolved.

	Do you have bind running on this machine, or do you have an
/etc/hosts file?  Also, check that /etc/resolv.conf is setup properly.