Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:52:48 +0000
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        Bob Collins <bobc@anything-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup question, which tag for 4.9-RELEASE?

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:57:59AM -0500, Bob Collins wrote:
> I am running a few boxes(n) on 4.9-RELEASE and am wondering about
> updating the ports and source. Using CVSup, should I tag src with
> RELENG_4, or RELENG_4_9? And what if any are the differences, that
> are not already noted in the handbook? Up to this point, I have not
> updated the system since install....

See:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

to quote:

RELENG_4
    The line of development for FreeBSD-4.X, also known as FreeBSD-STABLE.

RELENG_4_9
	The release branch for FreeBSD-4.9, used only for security advisories and
	other critical fixes.

> I think I have a rather good grasp of the topic, but there is a little
> confusion on my part. I am thinking if I read correctly, using RELENG_4
> will update to the latest in the 4.x branch and I'll be at 4.9-Current,
> no? And RELENG_4_9 will be only updates to the 4.9 branch?
No to the first question, yes to the second :P

HTH

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer