Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:48:04 -0500
From:      Kurt Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
To:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone?

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 05:44:31PM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 16:05 -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> > Just got a BeagleBone in the mail and so far, it seems like fun:
> >  * Under $100
> >  * Relatively modern Cortex-A8 ARM CPU (TI AM3358)
> >  * Built-in Ethernet, USB console, etc.
> >
> > So far,  I've gotten console access from my FreeBSD
> > laptop and am starting to tinker with a nanobsd-like
> > script to build a bootable SD image.  (By copying the
> > MLO and u-boot.img files; nothing FreeBSD-specific yet.)
> >
> > Next step:  Compile the arm/uboot boot loader and
> > see if I can get that to load and run.
> >
> > Anyone else tinkering with one of these?  Any
> > hints?  ;-)
> >
> > Tim
>
> The freebsd-arm list would be the place for info.  There's still work to
> do to get FreeBSD running on a Cortex-A8, last I heard.

There's this:

	http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard-freebsd/

Which has a status from January, and a pointer to a newer code drop,
and a couple of wiki entries saying to build it and boot it.
(The gitorious link just has code, no wiki or other useful information,
at least that I saw when browsing.)

The long and short of it (as I understand, since I just happened to
have read through this stuff the other day), is that there's a kernel
that compiles and has a bunch of drivers.  But the pmap routines for
that ARM varient are just stubbed, so there's no userland going on
at all.

Good luck -- it looks like a cool little board on which to run FreeBSD.

-Kurt