Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:20:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcl

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>
> > Also, the main reason for this was to ease the transition from one
> > version to another.  Maybe for a hacker like you it doesn't matter,
> > but for users who don't know how to hack ports to use whatever version
> > they have, this is the only way to get ports that require different
> > base tcl/tk to peacefully coexist.
>
> Well, perhaps Chuck is volunteering to go through all the ports
> and patch them so that they'll work with v7.5, 7.6, or 8.0,
> whichever happens to be on the installer's machine...  :-)

Understand that lots of tcl stuff will only work with a certain level of
tcl libs, and not below that level, but, yes, I think that would be far
more prefereable.  Many people are not aware, I think, of the files
tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh that tcl/tk normally installs in
/usr/local/lib just for that purpose.  Most of our tcl ports have been
jiggered just to ignore those, or patch around them.

I don't think that they will be much porting of new tcl things to FreeBSD
until we stop getting in the way of tcl's own portability.

I ended up nuking my own itcl port, because itcl wants to replace the
normal tcl/tk (whatever you have) and replace it with it's own patched
version, and since that unalterably killed this philosophy that folks must
be able to run multiple tcl versions, itcl was killed.  It wasn't a
question of itcl not working, or the port not working; it was a question
of being able to force it into our mold here.  I don't like the mold much.

I've discussed this enough, I don't think I'm enough in the majority to
force this, so let this thread go away, please.  Maybe a year from now
I'll try again.

> --
> Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
> tIM...HOEk

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |