Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2012 00:14:25 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: native USB 802.11n adapter w/ external SMA jacks?

Adrian Chadd wrote this message on Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 11:15 -0700:
> On 2 September 2012 11:12, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Please cc me as I'm not subscribed to -wireless.
> >
> > I'm looking for a 802.11n USB adapter that is supported on ARM w/ external
> > SMA jacks.  I plan to use this w/ a BeagleBone so clearly ndis drivers
> > will not work.
> >
> > I see plenty of adapters are available, but as usual, they don't list
> > which chipset they are based upon, making the decission hard.
> >
> > I'm looking at 802.11n more for future support, so even just a 802.11bg
> > device would be fine.
>
> I'm not currently aware of any USB wifi devices that are like that.
>
> I'd suggest first canvassing ebay/google/amazon for some candidates?

As I said earlier, I've found a number of devices that do have the
connector, but the problem is that trying to figure out which driver
they use is a bit difficult...  It looks like the Hawking HWUN1 (run)
would work, but it's no longer sold..

I also noticed that many of the USB drivers are listed as supporting
only one virtual interface at a time, though run doesn't list that
limitation...  Does run support multiple wlan networks at once?

I was thinking of trying the lottery to see if I get a supported device,
but with only one USB chipset supporting the features I'd want, I
don't like my odds...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579