Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:14:42 +0100
From:      Lenz Gschwendtner <lorenz.gschwendtner@heitec.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   (fwd) Re: Remote console into FreeBSD 4.1.1 boxen

Hi Randy!

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Randy Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to be able to log in to box via a serial port or the like
> to get 'console' access to the box remotely. I have several servers
> (web, mail ,etc.) co-located with my backbone provider and it really
> sucks to have to drive three hours up there just to do a fsck and the
> like. I've read the sections of the Handbook that discuss doing this
> with the serial ports but I havn't been able to get it to work. I can
> watch FreeBSD bootup but it doesn't give me a login prompt.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Is it possible to log in to a FreeBSD 4.1.1 (or higher) through a
> serial port?
> 2) If so, has anyone setup a Lucent PM2 or other box (FreeBSD or
> whatever) to console into multiple boxes? (I ask about the PM2 because I
> just happen to have one lying around.)
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,

we have our boxes all configured with only serial access. therefor you
can skip the following parts in your kernel script:
- vga
- sysconsole
- kbdcontrol
- keyboard

you hav to insert in your kernel the following:

- sio with flags 0x30

and in /boot.config "/kernel -vh"
and in the /etc/ttys all the vt* are obsolete, the thing you need now is
ttyd0. this has to be configured to the software (hardware) you plan to
use and has to be set "on".

this should bring your serial terminal up and is a 9600bps 8n1 with the
terminal type you have configured.

cheers
    lenz
--