Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2012 00:37:10 +0100
From:      Bas Vermin <bas_vermin@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Your thoughts on a buffer sharing mechanism for FreeBSD (dma-buf for drm2)

Hi Guys=2C

Today I decided to do something useful for the FreeBSD community=2C working=
 on the TTM and KMS for the AMD graphics cards which I think a lot of peopl=
e could use.

As most of us know Intel KMS support was added to FreeBSD a few months ago=
=2C and as far as I know this code was based on the Linux 3.1 kernel. The F=
AQ in the wiki states that in order to keep this code up to date the Linux =
commit log would be checked and changes merged into FreeBSD. Then came Linu=
x 3.3 which added support for dma-buf=2C the buffer sharing mechanism to be=
 used by PRIME for offloading work to different GPU's=2C a feature we obvio=
usly want. The problem with dma-buf is that it is licensed under the GPL an=
d has now littered all over the otherwise MIT licensed drm code (even nVidi=
a wasn't allowed to use dma-buf for their propietary driver).

My question is=2C does such a buffer sharing mechanism exist in FreeBSD?
And if so=2C would it be somewhat compatible with what dma-buf is doing in =
the PRIME code?

If not I think such a mechanism should be created=2C prehaps part of the vm=
 system (not separate as dma-buf is). Or am I just being stupid and is ther=
e a much better way of solving this problem?

I'd like your thoughts on this.

Bas
 		 	   		  =