Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:39:16 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosting question

You are probably talking about "virtual hosting" where you rent space on a
server and can add a number of hosts. Most likely, that would be a
"name-based" server where the domains all share the same IP address, but
can be found with their individual domain names.

The hosting biz is very competitive and a major shake-out is going on, so
good luck!

At 12:22 AM 1.31.2002 -0500, David Banning wrote:
>If I wanted to start a little business hosting simple web sites,
>where I could offer small business
>customers the ability to use www.customer_name.com,
>what kind of server should I have set up?
>
>My internet host offers something called domain servers, and virtual
>servers. With both customers can have www.customer_name.com.
>
>Would the virtual server option allow me to set up a number of different
>(customer) websites, each with customer_name.com ?
>
>My idea is not to get into the equipment business (other than my home
>FreeBSD machine), but rather buy the
>use of someone elses server for the job.
>
>What kind of a server/service am I looking for?

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"