Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:57:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        mingo lu <freebiebsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: weird files

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, mingo lu wrote:
> thanks. actually i did this before:

Try the command I gave you.

> freebiebsd@ rm -rf `\-bash.gmon`

If you use apostrophes that start at top left and go down to lower right
such as this: `` the text between them is interpreted by your shell as a
command within a command.

> freebiebsd@ bash: ./-bash.gmon: Permission denied

This error is telling you that it cannot execute the command -bash.gmon

You may be able to use regular apostrophes such as these '' or double
quotes such as these "" but in the case of the '' quotes the \ backslash to
force the dash will be forced itself due to the quotes!

> so that I su to the root and the same problem.
> any ideas?
> tia

su has nothing to do with it -- if the file was an ownership issue, the
error would have said "rm ___: Permission denied" or the like.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder