Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:53:28 -0400
From:      "Michael C. Cambria" <mcc@fid4.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD AP issues with Intel 2110 client

Hi,

I have been using the same system running FreeBSD as my home wireless
"Access Point" successfully since at least FreeBSD 4.6.  Now, a new
laptop connects, but drops ~ 80% (according to ping) of all packets sent
from the AP (which is also my router) over wi0 to the laptop.  When I
send ping from the laptop, no replies are lost however.

The laptop has an internal Intel wireless card.  Specifically, an "Intel
Pro Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini-PCI" adapter.  Things do associate and
there is some connectivity in hostap mode using 128 bit encryption.

This same laptop, when I disable the Intel 2100 and plug in any of the
PCMCIA cards I use with other laptops, works perfectly.  At first, I
suspected something wrong with the card.  However, it works perfectly
with other AP's deployed at various shows/events I've attended recently
(Usenix, IETF etc.)

So, RMA'ing the card back to Dell will probably not do much good.  Is
anyone else successfully using clients to a FreeBSD 4.10 Stable system
acting as an AP?  Are there settings I need to tweak?  As I said, with
numerous Orinoco cards, other laptops connect to the FreeBSD AP as it is
setup now just fine.

On the AP, I use a Netgear 401 plugged into a PCI->PCMCIA adapter.

wi0: <Siemens SpeedStream> port 0xec00-0xec3f,0xec80-0xecff mem
0xfdfff000-0xfdffffff irq 9 at device 7.0 on pci1
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:09:5b:0e:dd:dd
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3873
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.00.07, Station 1.03.06

Thanks,
MikeC